Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Episode 33

Episode 33

Missy peered into the dark attic following the slivers of light. Carli was still in the hospital and Missy was doing what she did best under pressure and stress-clean.

“Ouch!” she said stubbing her toe and knocking over a box filled with papers.

“What’s this?” she said noticing a handwriting sprawled across the pages of a thick bound book.


Hours later she found herself on the floor reading over the very personal words of Randy’s first wife.

I am pregnant-I should be happy-but I can’t bring myself to feel the joy of a new child. Especially under these circumstances. I don’t know which one to tell first. Randy or…


Missy flipped a few more pages

I haven’t been able to write-trying to avoid the guilt-besides, the baby demands so much of my attention. He has been transferred-something about starting over with his family. What about us? What about Carli and I?

Finally she reached the last page


I can no longer do this. Carli is looking more and more like him and Randy will notice eventually. I can only say that she looks like a distant ancestor for so long. I hate lying-I hate this life-it’s been over ten years but my heart still yearns for him. I’m not sure if it even yearns for him or the illusion of him. I can’t stand Randy touching me, everything irritates me, I find no joy in anything-not painting, not motherhood, nothing. I confess, I am honored and pleased that Randy cares so much for Carli even in spite of his doubts (rightfully so). I can’t do this anymore-I must go.

“Wow,” Missy breathed, “I wonder if Randy read this?”



“Wow,” Meka breathed looking over the books. “How do you do it, Lani.”

“What?”


“All the work with your diner. Your partner never shows up for these meetings.”

“O, Russel is busy-he has other things to do.”

“Like what?!” Meka said laughing. “He doesn’t have another job!”


Lani chewed her lip, “He has things to do.”

“Hey, no offense, but I think you’re carrying the weight of the diner alone.”


“Hey baby, how was work?” Russel asked

“Fine,” Lani mumbled crashing to the table.


“Are you sure? You seem tense?” Russel asked handing her a plate

“When you work hard you’re tense-except you wouldn’t know that.”

“What does that mean?”

“What I said. What do you do during the day? Why don’t you help out with the diner?”

“Whoa, whoa! Did Meka put that into your head? I swear-“

“Don’t bring Meka into this! Why don’t you have a job! Why don’t you help me?”

“I’m retired. When you’re retired, you relax. As for the diner, who supplies the cash that makes it run?”


“It takes more than a little cash to have a successful diner!”

“I’m not having this conversation with you, especially when Meka has put these lies into your head.”

“At least Meka is a real man with a real job!”

Russel grew silent and stared at Lani hotly. “I lost my appetite-just leave your plate on the table when you’re done. I’ll clean up.” He said before exiting the room.



“Do you have a minute?” Roxy asked.

“Is it the Loxly project?” Erika asked.

“Ah…no, it’s…uh…a man problem.”

Erika turned to her employee-“Spit it out.”


Before she could help herself Roxy found herself spilling the whole story about the Jamal’s strange behavior with the ticket.

“Wow-you only have one choice.”

“What?”

“Spy on him.”

“How?”


Erika laughed and spent the next hour sharing her secrets with Roxy. At the end of the day, Roxy found herself in front of the computer putting in various details and navigating through various pages.


She frowned as the results popped up. None of it was making sense. It didn’t match what Jamal had told her and now she was even more convinced that there was one explanation.


“That cheating bastard!”
Lani unlocked the door ever so carefully, it was late. Later than she ever spent going over the books with Meka and she didn’t want any arguments from Russel.

“Good evening.” Russel said as she opened the door.

“Hey.” She muttered and watched him clean the remains of the dinner that he had prepared.

“Where were you?” he asked filling the sink with water and soap.


“I should ask you the same thing, I called you all day today and you didn’t answer.”

“Why did you call? You never call me during the day.”

“Uh…” …to apologize… “no reason.” She answered.

“So I guess it wasn’t a big deal that you couldn’t reach me.”

“What’s your problem?” Lani growled


Russel smirked, “There isn’t a problem, at least not on my end. I, after all, did get to the house before midnight.”

“I was working!”

“So was I.”

Lani’s jaw dropped. “Ha! Doing what! Watching your latest soap opera?”

Russel smirked again, “No.”

“Then what?”


“After your, how do you say, fit… the other day I decided to get a ‘real’ job, so I signed with my modeling agency again.”

“You’re modeling again?”

“You said you wanted me to be a ‘real’ man and get a ‘real’ job, so I did. Now if you excuse me, I need to get to bed, I have an early morning tomorrow.”



Randy stretched his back as the doctor left the room, his baby girl would be coming home today.

“Are you feeling much better?” Missy asked.


“I feel fine, I don’t know why I have to be wheeled out of here.”

“It’s hospital policy, sweetie.” Randy echoed the words of the doctor to the exact question he asked earlier.


“Whatever, I’m hungry. Hospital food sucks.”

“Where would you like to eat?” Missy asked

“Hmm, a nice juicy fish burger.”


Missy accepted the cup of tea and sat down across her husband.

“What should we do?” he asked

“About what?”

“Carli and how she’s not mine.”


Missy sipped the hot liquid. “Honestly?”

“Of course.”

“I think you should say nothing. When she turns 18, give her the diary of her mother. It explains it all-except who her biologically father is. Until then, unless she asks, say nothing. For the past 17 years you have been her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment